Monday, November 23, 2009

Definitely possible...

It is possible to attend your ten year reunion and like it.

It is possible to be just.as.nervous ten years later, when you walk into a high.school event... all alone, with your pretty shoes on... with your date on your arm... hoping that things will be fine.

It is possible for old friends to recognize you after a drastic hair.cut, two pregnancies, 6 years of marriage, a mortgage, 710 sleepless nights, and 168,000 diaper changes.

It's possible to feel like a teenager again even though there are two car seats in the back seat, and Laurie Berkner on repeat in the car.

It's possible to feel nervous when you pack your 'little purse' and wonder for a split second if you have room to fit a box of raisins in there just in case the kids whiny...

It's possible to have a panic attack when you realize that you don't need raisins! Hell, you need note cards with interesting.non.mom topics written on them to be relevant and interesting at your ten year reunion!

It's possible to be a well adjusted 28 year old. A happily married mother of two... walking up that flight of stairs... scared that perhaps at the top, you'll realize that Life has in fact passed you by. And being scared that everyone will notice.

It is possible to plan ahead NOT to dance... because that would be stupid... but then feel the overwhelming urge to get out there when the DJ plays a rap.track.

It's possible to regret being such a 'teenager' in high.school- because for the most part, these are some of the coolest people you have ever (re)met.

It's possible to look across the room and realize that out of a couple hundred people and a lot of old memories, your husband is the most exceptional creature in the place...

It's possible to be honestly happy for people you use to not like.

It's possible to make a real effort to be Interesting, then two drinks later realize that we all just want to talk about bebies, poop, reflux, sex, and fat.rolls (ours and theirs).

It's possible for a group of 'snotty.teenage.highschoolers' to turn a rented reception hall into a giant, happy mommy.playdate.

It is possible to be reminded in a matter of minutes how much you miss some of your friends... how much you've missed... and how friggin exceptional they have become.

It's possible to stand shoulder to shoulder with a Doctor and a Lawyer and feel just as valuable and accomplished as a Stay.At.Home.Mom... because all three of us are working hard. All three of us are happy. All three of us are making a difference in this world.

It is possible to leave your ten.year.high.school reunion feeling 10 feet tall... knowing that in ten years, you've worked your tail off. Sacrifices, tears, dreams, Love, fears... And no matter who.is.doing.what, YOU are exactly where you need to be. You are exactly who you need to be with. You are heading exactly where you need to go.

****

To all my high.school.mom.friends. We made it. We really made it. We went from flimsy.teenagers who thought we knew what we wanted... thinking that no one understood how life really was- except of course Alanis Morrisette. Some how we made ten years of choices that brought us to Saturday night. All of us beautiful. All of us strong. All of us hanging on to what we have left of ourselves, while being brave enough to grow as mothers and wives. We were so little then--- but we must have cast a long shadow. We are much greater now than we ever (ever) were sitting on the carpet of The.Commons.

I walked away from a Could.Be.Disaster.Saturday.Night, realizing that I am a part of an incredible, beautiful, accomplished group of people.

*For those of you that read my blog and took the time to let me know and encourage me Saturday night- Thank you. It is nice to know that you share this space with me. I do love it.

Peace, love, and No.regrets.
xo
lmkw

10 comments:

Unknown said...

YOur blog is amzaingly encouraging. I pray that one day i GET to be a SAHM! I can't wait until your business launches on here- I am loving your pictures and can't wait to see the rest.. my hope is that your family is able to bless another little person soon!!

XOXOXO- Simply Southern (Margen)

Jill said...

Look at you. You find joy and the beautiful, even in a high school reunion. Amazing.

My favorite line? Your husband being the most exceptional creature in the place. I hope he reads your blog, cuz you are sooo getting kissy-faced after that one. ;)

Btw, thank you for your Mean Girl comment on my downer post. Glad to have a toughie on my side. No more of those, I promise. (But you did make me smile and giggle, so I don't completely regret it. ;p)

xo J

Lacey said...

LOVED IT!! And it makes me sad that I missed mine last year!!

I'm glad it went well!! Old friends are the best!

Lynsey said...

Oh Linds...I knew you wouldn't let me down :) Very well written...I couldn't have said it better. I enjoyed our night and it turned out better than I had expected. Although I must say...I'm not used to the wine drinking...it kinda got to me :)
Lynsey Buuck

Janee said...

Save this post and email it to me in 2 years when it's my turn!! I love you for your spunk, love for life, and optimism!

Lisa said...

I love it, love it, love. :-) Makes me wish our class could've gotten their act together...I would sure like to have seen the "results." Thanks for giving the SAHM such a beautiful name!

Megan said...

Love it! You crack me up! This is how I felt going to an old friend's wedding a month ago. I knew I was going to see a lot of high school friends I hadn't seen in at least 5 years. You hit every nail on the nose with the emotions. xoxo!

Hope you and your family have a wonderful and blessed Thanksgiving!!!

Anonymous said...

quite interesting read. I would love to follow you on twitter.

Anonymous said...

Free information about penis enlargement products, how it works, price of products, top products, and review of penis products. Visit http://www.buypenisenlargement.com
- male enhancement pills - http://www.male-sexual.com

Anonymous said...

Amiable brief and this enter helped me alot in my college assignement. Thanks you on your information.