Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Update from the Delta...

Oh!  I've missed blogging. 

I've neglected this place... If truth be told, I'm considering a facebook break for the summer so I can get back to blogging again.  I miss writing things all out to completion... with pictures. 

This has been an amazing Spring season for us in our little nest.  We celebrated Jackson's 2nd birthday in grand style.  *That post will be next.  :)  We took a trip to meet my favorite photographers and be photographed as a family by them... it was what dreams are made of.  *Another killer post in the making.  Marcus worked most of the time in Texas while we stayed back for MSP and school... *with the silver lining of working on getting back to Texas permanently.  We are ankle deep in details for big changes coming up soon... I'm dreaming big.  And I feel like we are in a good place.  So much to look forward to. 

Now, let's talk about this rising Mississippi River!  It's been crazy watching the flooding all over the country... and how it's all trickled down to our banks.  We are a port city, so we've all been holding our breath as the waters rose and rose and rose... waiting on pins and needles to hear if/when the government would open the Morganza Spillway to relieve the swelling.  And open they did... flooding the precious city and surrounding area just north of our little nest.  Prayers goes out to those who lost beloved farmland and precious homes. 

It's amazing how destructive water can be.  We know that all too clearly down here in South Louisiana.

We depend on these waters... but we've been knocked to our knees when the waters rise or levees fail or oil washes in wave after wave. 

I wanted to see with my own eyes how high the Mississippi was getting.  So a friend and I packed up our bebies and a picnic dinner and spent the evening out on the levee this past Wednesday. 

Picture evidence: (click to see the larger, better quality image)

My friend and our bebies overlooking the water... usually, the bank is around that furthest tree there in the background.  This was last Wednesday.  The water is STILL rising.  We expect it to crest tomorrow some time. 

This is taken right off our LSU campus.  The city skyline you see in the distance is downtown Baton Rouge where our capitol is.  We are having seepage and sand boils on our college campus which is right over this levee. 

These guys were fishing with grass shrimp as the waters were rising.  This is a huge catfish... they were also taking off a river eel when I took this shot.  I'm surprised they were catching them with the water rising like this. 

Sunset on the river... beautiful.

Our bebies performing for us.  We were giving them riddles about our state... Yes, to keep them from running wild, rolling into the flood waters, and getting swept away by the current. 



When Allie and James' Christmas card pic... :)

And as the sun sank into the floodwater we loaded up and headed home.  It was a beautiful sight.  A beautifully destructive sight. 

I'll be back soon.  I've got so much to tell you. 

Until then,
peace, love, and holding.tight.
xo
lmkw

4 comments:

kellie said...

ahhhhhh!!!!! blog, writing, actual words put together not just in sentence form but to complete paragraphs!!!! And the promise of 2 others coming soon, I just dont know if I will be able to contain myself. You might be recieving a few harassing texts for updates... give an inch

GreenErica said...

What Kellie said....

xoxo

Melissa said...

Love these pics! Thank you for taking some & sharing!

Great post. :)

Lacey said...

So happy your back! It's crazy what is going on in our world today- makes you want to crawl in a hole with your nest and hold your breath! Praying it passes silently as my family is there too!
And how fun to move to Texas- it would be a perk to us having to be here! ;)