Tuesday, April 1, 2008

A Boy and His Bugs...



As you know Beaux Jack really loves bugs. I suppose this could be my curiosity and interst in the unusual paired with Marcus' patience and incredible gentleness... Since James was 'tiny,' we've been careful not to freak out if a creepy crawly thing was near him. Instead, we took time to explore things and learn to appreciate the little critters. I suppose this is why James has an overly enthusiastic fondness for bugs- ladybugs in particular. In the spirit of Spring, we've taken his enthusiasm to the next level. The Easter Bunny gifted James with his very own LadyBug 'habitat' and pet ladybugs. For the last week and two days, we've been caring for about 11 little larvae!

There they are! They are MUCH bigger now than when we first got them. They have molted their exoskeletons probably 4 times in the past week! They are in the larval stage in this pic...

James is so aware of everything around him now- and he's so good to listen and learn when we present him with new opportunities. This Spring, we've taken to observing signs of Spring- by reading about bebe animals and new plants. We are focusing on life cycles of things like ladybugs and plants... There are so many great books to help him build background knowledge and vocabulary. We've made up songs, drawn pictures, and been on nature hunts. Next week the ladybugs should be well in the pupal stage of development- which could last for a couple of weeks... so I think we may plant a few seeds and learn how water is needed for plants to grow- and Ladybugs, too! He's good about making small connections like that. He's smarter than I give him credit to be.

***For my non-teacher/professor friends, I don't mean to bore you with the details of it all- I just really, really get in to education... and teaching... and providing kids opportunities to learn.... so indulge me.


This is their water crater where we drop water onto the sponge.

Anywho, we are raising Convergent Lady Beetles. They are so cute and friendly. We observe them in their LadyBug Land and take them out and let them crawl on our hands. They are in the larval stage now, so they look like these weird alligator like bugs. They are curious and active and smart! James loves giving them water every other day with a pipette to drip the water on to a sponge in the middle of their 'water crater.' He really wants to give them milk too--- but I have to explain that these bebies can only drink water. I can't wait until they hatch from their pupae and we can feed them hydrated raisins. James will freak out! Raisins are one of his fav. snacks.

Anywho, here are a few pics of our bebies. They grow SO MUCH each day- and today a few have started to show signs of pupating! I'm sort of sad to see our frisky bugs slow down to these dull and lethargic pupae. BUT that's the cycle! I'll have to get video of James talking about the life cycle of ladybugs and the new vocabulary we are working on- like observation, insects, pupae, and habitat.


That sandy stuff is their food! They really are fun to watch... I'm tellin' you!


***If any of you are thinking of launching your own 'buggery' in your house, let me recommend Insect Lore. My favorite mentor gave me the scoop on this company- and will be doing this with my second graders in a few weeks. I miss them...

Oh and Sugarbutt- I'm calling you out here. My bebe ZC is NOT too young to enjoy 'cool things' like this. Erica could tell you how last summer we found a monarch butterfly pupae in a garden and were letting James and Tate observe it--- as we were telling them all about it, James reached up and pinched it. It's ALL a learning process and you have to model how to react to certain things and how to learn new stuff... You have to wait for them to be 'age appropriate' in some ways- but it's never too early to engage them in opportunity and cultivate their interest! They'll take what they can and leave the rest for when they are old enough for more. So, go dig up a worm or catch a cricket! It's SPRING!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is so James. I love it. I can't wait to get our butterflies! And I remember that day with the caterpillar! We were so new and innocent back then. I miss you. I love you!
Erica

Michelle Sanders said...

Ahh yes, spring is indeed here! Well so far Zane has been introduced to a lizard and a caterpillar but sadly the caterpillar did not live to tell the tale. We are trying to show him how to be gental but he is one rough fella! I'll keep you posted on our creepy crawlies! Perhaps you can give him a little instruction this summer!

Oh and HI ERICA!