Sunday, April 6, 2008

“You never lose by loving. You always lose by holding back.”


The title of this post is a quote that I love by Barbara De Angelis. This weekend came with sadness when Saturday news that bebe Ethan Powell lost his little life to leukemia. I learned of Ethan and his courageous parents Ben and Becky through a friend whos daughter was diagnosed with leukemia... through Kami's journey at St. Jude, they met "Little E." Kami is the daughter of a friend of ours in Louisiana. Her parents work with Daddy through the Driving Schools Association of Louisiana. When news came that she was being sent to St. Judes for treatment- everyone stopped to offer help and support to the Chauncys. Being the incredible people Bud and Jill are- they offered a window into the lives of several children at St. Jude who were sent from Louisiana. As we were saying prayers for Kami- they asked for us to also remember the other children and their families... Thus began my journey with the Powells. I fell in love with bebe Ethan when he was about three and a half months old. His parents maintained a website and updated it several times a day- keeping us in tuned to Ethan's progress and needs. Ethan was just two months old when he was diagnosed with leukemia. From there, I read about Ethan daily... multiple times a day. Each night, I remembered Ethan, Ben and Becky in my prayers... each and every night. I was encouraged by their strength and reminded of the grace that can be found in a scraped knee, milk jugs poured on the carpets, and even busted out front teeth.

******

The days preceding Ethan's passing were pretty scary. Things went from bad to worse. A little after noon on Saturday, I received the sad news that at 11:37am Ethan Isaiah Powell peacefully left this world in his parent's loving arms. He was almost 16 months old. My heart is broken over Ethan's passing. I can't imagine the strength that is required of Ben and Becky... and they've been so courageous. They are in the planning stages of Ethan's 'Going Home Party.' I can't tell you how incredible these two people are. They've been a constant source of inspiration for me as a mother, wife, and Christian. And, for the record, "I (will always) BeLIeVe... prayer works!" ***That's the last thing Ben and Becky always say after updating everyone on Ethan's condition.

Since Saturday, I've been so unsettled and afraid about the lifetime of losses that I've yet to live... I don't know what I would do if I lost any of my family, friends, and loved ones... I hope I never know. But this weekend has been an anxious on for me. I've prayed for peace. Today we celebrated our life and time together playing in the backyard and grilling burgers. My boys bless me more than I could ever explain. And to top it all off, God threw in a whole slew of extra critters for James and I to enjoy--- you'll see our 'friends' in the pictures below.

*****

It's late and my seventh graders will surely be a handful tomorrow- so let me leave with this scripture... It gives me hope and strength and peace when I feel overwhelmed by all the life I've yet to live:

"Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid." John 14:27

Go and hold your bebies... try with all your might to live in each moment... and don't ever miss an opportunity to support the research that is taking place RIGHT NOW at St. Jude's Children's Hospital- take a minute to check out the above links to learn more about my friends: these brave children and their fantastic families... say a prayer for them and pray for a CURE.






I found this family of monarch catepillars Saturday afternoon. I was heartbroken about the news of Ethan- so I went outside to 'work things out' in my head. I found this rogue milkweed/butterfly weed that I hadn't planted... then I found these beauties under the leaves. We probably have about 8 of them on three plants. What a beautiful sign of hope and life...

No comments: