Friday, February 13, 2009

What is a week worth to you?


When you have a child... lots can happen in a week. Really big things, even.

In that spirit: I've been overdue blogging about my biggest boy, James. Ever since he was born, I felt like I could actually see him growing each day before my very eyes. Little things, big things, things perhaps only mothers notice. But one thing is certain, not a day has gone by that I couldn't point my finger on something and say "ah hah! That's it. He's bigger now because of that."



On that note, I have to update you (or rather provide a written record for myself) just where my boy is today... at Three Years, One Month.

To simplify it all in a very melodramatic pitiful way, he's grown. Completely. He's a complete little human- he can tell you all about how he feels... he can talk about his emotions... and he's tuned in to yours. He can ask questions effectively about deep things: Does this make you happy, Momma? Do you get scared, too? Don't you fink dat fish is sad when it's out of the water? Basically, he isn't limited by words or language anymore. AND he understands you completely. In fact, you can have quite a grown up conversation with the bugger without much complication. This may just be the coolest thing yet.


*One of my favorite things is that he tries out new words. I love this the most, because I love words so much. Big ones, little ones, funny ones... Blame Dr. Seuss and a hundred other writers. So when I hear my miniature.man experiment with new ones, it makes me dizzy with delight. Here are some of his recent favs: spectacular, bazaar, irresponsible, incredible, unfortunate. AND his favorite new phrases: Are you serious? Yes way! You've got to be kidding me! That's terrible news. I don't believe so. You're killing me! (thank Charlie Brown for that one.)

Other new things:
*Obsession with all things Peanuts... Charlie Brown Movies and Music
*Picking out sounds in a song: "Momma! Hear dat? Here dose biolins? I hear drums! Hear dat? Dats guitar! Dat's 'ccordian!" etc... it's completely crazy how tuned in he is to music- both the lyrics and the score.
*"Are you happy... are you sad... are you mad?" -He's very VERY in to asking us these things... it's a good way for us to explain how we feel to him, and how we deal with our feelings.
*His main toys/playtime still remain balls (football, basketball, soccer, and baseball) *We have the backyard laid out with a tee.ball diamond and soccer goal. He knows how to slide into the bases, field the ball, and run pass or carry plays in football. Everyday after work for an hour and a half, this is what he and MarcusHotness do. I sit on the porch, knit and watch... and heckle.

*He cooks pretty much all day. Anything you want. He's especially good at the seasoning part: "Taste it Momma. I need to a'just the seasoning? More cumin? How 'bout pepper?" I love this part most- because I can tell how much he mimics me and picks up on what we do in the kitchen together. In fact, there have been VERY VERY few meals where he hasn't been in the kitchen cooking 'with' me. Whether it has been slung to my chest in a bebe.sling, a bouncer by the butcher block, or banging on pots and pans underfoot. It's one of my favorite things about Motherhood!

*And building towers with his blocks. Loves this activity. AND I love to sit down on the floor with a pile of blocks and build with him. It's... relaxing! I can't wait for him to get a bucket of Lincoln Logs!

THE BIG THINGS:
I wouldn't dare say James is potty trained... because I'm too scared to speak too soon... BUT he has been in big.boy.drawers for an ENTIRE WEEK!!! He's only had four accidents so far. Not sooo bad, right? Seven whole days... four small accidents? Hey, it's progress. No pull.ups during the day. Pull ups overnight. But the neat thing is he wakes up during the night and yells to go potty... wakes up with a dry diaper. So there is a good chance that he will be diaper free very VERY soon. What will be his Big.Reward??? *sigh* A trip to Chuck E. Cheese's. Yes, I'm a sell.out. Oh, it's the one place in this world that I hate more than Walmart. So, if he can master this thing, I'll let yall know when we plan on taking him. If you love me... or love sheer misery, COME HANG with us at Chuck's. Yes?

AND the other super cool thing is that he's learning to read. He's got great fluency with his letters... and he's getting more automatic with his letter sounds. He's got great concepts about print: print has meaning, one to one match, punctuation symbols, left to right reading, pictures carry meaning, etc... And he's learned a handful of site words. He loves to spell out the words he sees in his environment. Yesterday we were pottying at the Driving School- and there was a bottle of Lysol by the sink. He's never seen that before, bc we keep all chemicals locked up... but he said, "see dat momma? L-Y-S-O-L. What's dat say?" And of course, I always respond, "Well, what do you think it says? What can you tell me about that word?" He then proceeded to sound it out. I almost fell on the floor. I mean, I'm not a fan of the 'sound it out' strategy... but sometimes it works! Holy cow. ***What are we doing together to learn this stuff? Nothing, really. We read lots and lots of books each day... we play with letters and words a lot... lots of pretend play... and when he shows interest in reading something, letters, etc- I take that moment and run with it.

*I can remember in college hating still being there... the transfer, the LONG HOURS, the redundant courses, feeling unchallenged, wanting more than anything to be done with it... all the tears and sick stomachs... There were times when the feeling to want to quit was soo soo intense and real I couldn't stand it. But I did it. The whole 187 hours. I really did it.

BUT having that training (and more importantly, that passion) has been the most fulfilling and rewarding thing for me to have on this journey of Motherhood. I feel so tuned in to our time together... and what's even better is that I feel like I'm not missing a thing. People have always said that the mother is always the first teacher... it's so true. But actually being trained in early childhood education and literacy is even neater.

God is great. His timing is impeccable. And He's always fulfilling His promises to us.

Have a great Lover's weekend, friends! Love is a good thing... and there is a lot of love out there to share. So get started!

I've got a glucose test at the hospital, a sushi/hibachi date night with my Hotness, and then a suprise visit somewhere... he won't tell. Then a movie. We NEVER get to go to a movie... so that should be a nice night. Saturday will be a Sweethearts date with my *two* best boys. We plan on treating BeauxJack to a day in New Orleans... the aquarum and Instectarium... and Drago's chargrilled oysters, of course! Sunday is bebe.jax's day... nursery and shopping spree. With Monday night finishing up our weekend of love at the Melting Pot. They were booked two full weeks before Vday... so we have to snaek it in on the tale end of the weekend. That's okay. Fondue now or later... just fondue, please. ***Pictures will follow***

Peace, love, and chocolate dipped strawberries!
xo
lmkw

4 comments:

Jennifer said...

I love reading your blogs! They always make me smile. :) Your little boy is so cute and the pictures you take are amazing!

Michelle Sanders said...

Yey for big boy underwear! I'll make and appointment to drop Zane off for his appointment soon. LOL

Carley said...

Why a glucose test at the hospital? Did you fail the one at the doctor?

Anonymous said...

Telepathy... I think our boys have it and I think its starting to kind of freak me out!!
Andrew also had an awesome week potty training (besides the flooding the bathroom ordeal), he's added a ton of new words and phrases to his vocabulary, and we're heading to CEC today as well.
Happy Valentines Day!