Friday, December 12, 2008

*Our White Christmas*

I'm excited about this post... I've got new pictures, things whittled off my 'to do' list, a recipe, and a fully decorated Christmas tree. I'm well on my way of conquering this Christmas stuff. Marcus is taking two weeks off for the holidays in a week... and I plan on enjoying that time with him. Just me and my boys soaking up all that Christmas means to us.

But first, Janee, your comment cracked me up. I totally appreciate the numbered list!!! It's exactly what I need during this crazy holiday season!!! Totally gonna check out #1. Not yet on #2... maybe this week. Heard about #3, we've been twice- not to see Santa- but to see the cool Christmas set up. They let you write and mail letters to Santa, etc. So cute. Great pic opportunities. #4 you get now. And both, please to #5. And don't let me forget to talk to you about Beaux Jack's birthday...

Now on to the Snow pictures! So, those of you who live here know that we got snow Thursday morning!!! My sister called me at 5am to tell us to look outside. It was magical. Lots of white snow was swirling around and falling to the ground... the sky was so inky and the flakes were so white and perfect. When we woke up around 7am, 6 inches covered the ground!!! I couldn't wait to get James Neal up and dressed to get outside to play in it. I was in second grade the last time it snowed here in South Louisiana. What a special treat for us!

Marcus decided to go into work late--- he couldn't pass up the opportunity to build a snowman with his boy!!! Never. It was such a special day! Marcus ended up staying home and playing all day... I love my family. Days like yesterday are treats I don't plan on ever forgetting. A real 'pinch me' sort of a day.

Take a look at my best boy dressed for his first official SNOW DAY!

















Isn't he the very sweetest?

One thing about me is that I've always been a bit crazy about wanting my bebe boy to be warm enough... I suppose that's because I had a bebe born during winter. But it's true. I'm a nut about him being warm enough. So in these pics, even though he isn't in his big jacket right at first, he's in silk polar ski long underwear, fleece lined jeans, two thermal long sleeve shirts, his sweater, and his fleece lined hat. His ski mittens and ski jacket came out later. Good thing I over dress my boy- who knew we'd actually had the snow to 'need' it?? *I had to take those pics super quick bc the snow was falling so fast, I was afraid it would ruin my camera... and we couldn't have that!

After a day in the snow, what could be better than a nice homemade pot of soup? One problem: I love to cook. *It's true.* But I'm a dyed.in.the.wool.old.school cook. I cook from scratch, no questions asked. So, I was at a loss. I hadn't planned on cooking soup that night- so no bubbling chicken was on the stove for stock, etc. So I decided to try a new recipe! I broke down and used store bought chicken stock- but the rest cooked fairly fast. Since my dear friend, Kathryn, has a strong affection for good soups, I'm gonna post the recipe here. You've GOT to make it!!! It's the best soup I've had in a while. *K, it would have been perfect had I had a buttery slice of your warm homemade wheat bread on the side... I'm just sayin. :) If I were closer, I'd surprise you with a warm pot of it! I would love to do that...

It's a Mexican Potato Soup... with roasted peppers, chorizo, and cilantro. So unbelievable!!! So good. The recipe calls for chopped chard- which I just happen to have fresh out of Momma's garden... so this was the perfect recipe for her yummy greens. You top it with a little parm. reggiano and I threw in a touch of sharp cheddar... oh, and I added a small dollop of sour cream to the top, too. The soup doesn't have a milk base, so the cold cream running through each bite is delicious. Oh, and fresh cilantro on top. I'm a cilantro fanatic- so I add lots to the top of mine. So- that's that. You've got to try it out. And let me know if you dig it too!

Hmmm... oh yes, the Christmas tree is up and decorated... all 13ish feet of it. It's a monster- but fresh, aromatic, and beautiful. I'll post pics of that soon.

Oh, and you see to the right of my blog, I've posted a poll wanting you to weigh in on Jackson's middle name.... I've got my favorite. What's yours?

Peace, love, and unlikely events,
xo
lmkw

4 comments:

Janee said...

I LOVE the snow pictures!! Such a fun day! Please tell me that Marcus got a few of you with that sweet boy in the snow too!

I feel special... I got a mention (by name!) in the blog! : )

Anonymous said...

oooooh! I've been waiting for your snow photos and as expected, they are spectacular!!!! James looks like a pro in the snow! :D

I also noticed you are halfway through your pregnancy now. Congrats! 20 more weeks to go!

Sorry we missed you when you came out to Kingwood. I would have loved to catch up.

Michelle Sanders said...

Stunning snow pics! Unfortunally David and both had to go into work so no fun playing in the snow for us. Oh and Jackson Brigss...for sure.

Kathryn said...

Oh, Yum! That looks so good. I'm gonna have to have this on hand for our next cool day. Abe hasn't been so up for soup lately :( but I can't really blame him; It was 80 today! Yeah, mid December?! This place is weird...

Oh, and what a beautiful time to enjoy with your little family... Seeing that snow makes me miss NE. What fun memories.