Friday, August 14, 2009

*Fat.Rolls*


Yikes! What a title, huh? At least I'm posting this after most of us have had our morning coffee... little less abrasive this way.

Now, on to the story...

Wednesday was a doozy for me. Well, for me AND Jackson. The day started with just me and the Little because his big brother was still in Texas. *The inlaws had gotten tickets to take James to see Wiggles.Live... so he had a quick trip West. Anywho, it was just me and ole Jax. These days Jackson is fairly scheduled, meaning he has pretty much put himself on his own schedule. He wakes around 7:30am then back for a nap between 9 and 10am, yada yada. The morning started off well, but then took a turn for the worse when he resisted taking his nap. Lots of fussing... not crying, just fuss.fuss.fuss. Nothing seemed to make him happy, other than nursing. So pretty much the whole day, I held him, bounced around with him, and nursed him.

Finally around 3pm I was nearly worn out. My arms were about to fall off. So I decided to try to lay down with him in my bed... my camera was on the nightstand and I laughed when I picked it up. I figured I would take a grouchy.face pic to document our first full day with Jackson being a... well, infant handful- bc, for the record, he's the World's Easiest Bebe. As I was preparing my lighting, and positioning him, I caught a glimpse of something. Just recalling it makes me have butterflies in my tums. Anywho, I saw a blood red streak across his neck under his little face... What?

Deep inside the fat roll's fat roll, was this shiny, red, wet rash. It was totally hidden at all angles... hidden deep inside that fat roll! As my fingers were holding open the little fold, and I saw how terrible it looked, I immediately scooped him up and started a mild.maternal.freakout. THIS IS WHAT HE'S BEEN TRYING TO TELL ME ALL DAY!!! Instantly the Mother.Guilt started pouring all over me. How could I not know? I thought he was teething, overtired, constipated, or all of the above... but no. He had this raw, burning streak on his little neck. *sniff*

Marcus was away at work, about to leave to drive straight to TX to pick up James. I was stuck. By myself. With a hurting, crying bebe. And I didn't exactly know how to treat it without irritating it, or making it burn more. Totally desperate feeling, I called a friend... just to have her sit on the phone while I pried the fat fold open again to get a better look at it. I just needed someone there to 'feel it' with me.

Everything ended up okay. I called my *rock.star* pediatrician and she talked me through it over the phone. She said it was just a little 'yeast' that can grow in damp, dark, air.less places... like bebies' fat.rolls! She said it is common in 'luscious' bebies. And Jax is known for his luscious bebe chub. So, a few dashes of medicated powder to keep things dry- and he is now fine and back to normal. Still fat. Totally getting fatter. But it's oh.so.darling!!!

Now, here are the pics I snapped of his red, puffy little face BEFORE I found the dreadful culprit. Even sad, he's still so sweet... and you can even tell in his face that he was trying to be a good boy for his momma.





After taking these pics, and getting the medicine, he still needed to be held... all the way until a quarter to 10pm! But here we are a day later and all is well with the world.

Peace, love, and nurses.that.answer.on.the.first.ring...
xo
lmkw

5 comments:

GreenErica said...

Mommy guilt and being homesick are my top two worst emotions. Give him a kiss from me. He's so beautiful. xo

Robin said...

Poor little babe! He is such a cutie pie!

MsAmerica said...

Poor little man. He is so beautimous. He's getting so big already!!

Unknown said...

As a pediatric nurse I had to laugh at your post...I dont think I have ever had a mom so frantic over a yeast rash! But its all good ! BUT don't be surprised if there is more going on...babies aren't usually that fussy with a yeast rash...perhaps an ear infection starting? Or maybe it was just not a good day for him. God knows we all have them : Hope all is well!

kylajewell said...

Lindsey, I feel your pain. Kolya has the same red spots in her fat rolls. Just as soon as I find one and get it heeled, I find a new red spot in a fat roll that I didn't even know existed...like an armpit roll, for example. I wouldn't even consider her to be a chubby baby, and yet, her rolls go on forever! My midwife has me breaking open capsules of golden seal to dry it up. I hope baby Jax heels up quickly.