Thursday, February 11, 2010

Love Notes...

Love notes are particularly nice when written in crayon...

... by four year olds who have something to say.

James is particularly fond of holidays. Birthdays, too, for that matter. He gets excited about all the festivities that surround special days. Weeks before, months even- he starts asking about this holiday or that... What will we eat? What will we wear? What will we do? Who will be with us? And it's important to note that he wants specific answers to these questions. Not the vague variety that easily come when I'm unloading the dishwasher with one hand and trying to keep Jax from grabbing the knives from the cutlery basket with the other. He wants hard and fast answers.

I've never made Valentines fireside, while preparing for a sneaux.day before... but it couldn't have been any more fun. You'd think it was still Christmas...

After Jax went down for his nap, we broke out the art supplies... First up, who do we need to make valentines for? I let him populate his own list... I'm always surprised by who does and doesn't make the cut. :)

Then one by one, James made thoughtful little notes for each VIP in his life.

You know, I just typed two paragraphs about how I am very particular about crafts, baking- etc... I've always been deeeeply wounded by a perfectionist gene that honest to goodness runs in my DNA. But reading it back to myself... well, it was just annoying. So here is the short of it: I don't do a lot of things right when it comes to parenting. Honestly. Sometimes I just screw it up. BUT sometimes I nail it--- and when James gets his craft on, well... I nail it. And seeing how I screw up on a daily basis, it's nice to note the occasions when I get it right. :)

Maybe it's the teacher in me- but when I want James to do something creative, I let HIM do it. I provide the stuff and the support- but all in all, it's his rodeo. I don't decorate his gingerbread house for him- even though I rock at it. I don't tell him what to draw- even though I have a killer idea for it. I don't overshadow his fun. Period. When I was teaching, there was nothing that got me steamed more than a kid bringing a project from home that his PARENT did for him... I mean, really? I'm sooo not that parent. I'm not worried about messes. In fact, I prepare for them... and welcome them. This is a learning experience dadgummit! So back.away.from.the.kid.and.let.them.work! ;)

Anywho, I know he is mine... and that makes me completely bias- but Geeze.Louise I love what he comes up with. And as it turns out, his ideas and ultimate finished product ALWAYS trump mine every time! :)

I mean, who would have thought that this adorable Caterpillar would be the perfect way to say, "I love you." ??? I secretly hope he makes one for me...

And no, "Valentine's" isn't spelled correctly (if you look closely, he added an extra 'n')- but I was blown over that he phonetically spelled the whole thing out! I screamed out loud and almost woke the bebe. And it sent James giggling. I love it when his little eyes turn down into little half.moons when he smiles.

. No matter what my day brings, or how tending home.and.hearth seems to be a never.ending.process- I'm so grateful to have days where we just play, paint, and create. We may not get out of our night.nights that day- but it's okay, because in that moment, we are living it!

Now, I must go mobilize the elves- because after he goes to sleep tonight, I will start plan on baking the most beautiful little treats for my boys. I can't let this holiday slip by without surprising them with a little *momma*magic* that I've got up my own sleeve. :)

Peace, love, and crooked.letters,
xo
lmkw

1 comment:

Janee said...

I LOVE his Valentinens! :) They are so sweet!! You are such a fabulous mom!