Friday, November 28, 2008

What I'm thankful for...


I know this is a funny picture to represent this post... but it's all apart of my overall theme. When I was young, my Daddy gave me and Tboy two bebe turkeys for Easter one year. You remember how you could get died bebe chics for Easter? Well, Daddy couldn't make sense of buying a chic that had been artificially dipped and died--- it is a bit inhumane, so he opted for a twist on the obvious: two bebe turkeys. They grew into the very best pets. The female was named Jerry and the Tom turkey (boy turkey) was named Tom, natch. Anywho, they layed eggs and we loved them. Daddy would load them up in the back of his truck and ride down the road with them, like you would a dog. Such good pets. Tom was my favorite because he was so kind, and full of himself. He would strut around all proud and perfect.

So when I think of being thankful, there are heaps and heaps of things that come to mind.

I'm thankful for my past... all things knitted together just so, to bring me to now.

I'm thankful for my parents and their ability to provide for us, and give us beautiful memories.

I'm thankful for my siblings: My greatest friends on Earth. My champions. My Encouragers. And all the memories we created together.

I'm thankful for Freedom, my citizenship. I'm thankful for all the people who came before me to ensure my right to life, liberty, and pursuit of happiness.

I'm thankful for the selfless men and women who sacrifice their own safety, comfort, and family to allow me those rights.

I'm thankful for all the men and women who served as my teachers and professors. These people took their time and invested it in me. So many people took part in molding me into who I am today. I am forever thankful for their skill, kindness, tenderness, and presence in my life.

I'm thankful for my spiritual mentors who pushed me to grow my Faith and belief. I'm thankful to have been born into a Christian home who put our beliefs into daily practice.

I'm thankful for the Ultimate Sacrifice that ensures my salvation... and all the hope that springs forth from that gift.

I'm thankful for my husband. He's my best friend, my lover, and my protector. I'm constantly amazed at how kind and wise he is. He is the most generous person in my life and the love he gives me surpasses so much of what I deserve. I'm thankful that his hard work provides me the option of being a Stay at Home Mom with my son. What a priceless gift!

I'm thankful that Marcus is the father of my son. He is steadfast in his focus toward growing, raising, and providing for our family. He is patient with James. Tireless. Sincere. Selfless. James' future is so bright... because his daddy took the time with him yesterday, today, and tomorrow.

I'm thankful for James Neal. He's a promise fulfilled to me. He has made me the very best version of myself. I'm thankful for his nature, curiosity, and goodness. He's so smart. So smart. Funny. And well behaved! I love our conversations, his made-up words, and mad musical skilz. He's everything I've ever wanted in a child, a son.

I'm thankful for my friends. These women have lifted me up with their humor, encouraging words, and prayers. They've reminded me of who I am, even when I seem to forget. They've documented memories for me, surprised me with potted plants, talked with me for hours from foreign countries, showed up at the hospital to 'keep it all together' for me. They've sent cards through the mail. They've kept my bebe.boy to let me get through school. They've welcomed me into their homes to take part in their special family moments. They've let me hold their children, hug their husbands, and cherish their parents. They've heard my disappointments, my fears, my hopes, my failures. They've loved my family. They've taken the time to invest in my child. They've made me a better wife. A better mother. A better friend.

I'm thankful for the internet and the education and information that is at my fingertips!

I'm thankful for:

chapstick
tivo
makeup
music
prenatal vitamins
starbucks
big bathtubs
circus peanuts
creative people
my beautiful home
cameras
cameras
cameras
post photo processing
LSU football
wonderbras
magic erasers
dirt, flowers, bugs
powerstrips
lemons
Kitchenade stand mixer
Food processor
Santuku knife
blogging
Alton Brown
literature
Barack Obama and the nation which elected him
etsy
Dropshots
good cheese
the teacher in me
email
grand isle
jerry lees boudin
egrets
accents
organic food options
Land of Nod
socks
long distance telephone services
poboys
wind
fresh sac au lait
farmers markets
a good sale
odd jobs that pay!
the way James says 'feather'
the adjective 'chauny'
children's books
lampe bergers
baking stoneware
my culture
friendly neighbors
homemade food
*knowing how to cook
Noggin
the environment
my floral knife

The women who have helped me become who I am: my mother, Jan, Claire, Nancy, Lisa.
The men who've shaped who I am: my Daddy, my grandfather and superhero, Doyle, and Duke.

And the new bebies who've made it into this world to renew our thirst for knowledge, wonder, and hope: Rosebud, Miracle, and Zekial *and the mommas who gave them to us.

Lastly, I'm thankful for motherhood. I'm thankful for my healthy body who continues to allow me to function how I wish. I'm thankful for the Miracle of Life and the ability to carry my own pregnancies... the ability to birth healthy, beautiful children. I'm thankful for chunky.whitty.numero.two. I'm thankful for every flutter and kick!

***ThankYOU for all the kind words, comments, and emails you've taken the time to send me. Your time and caring words are more than passing thoughts... they become inspiration and affirmation to me. I appreciate your thoughtfulness. !!!

More to come on this bebe.business.

I hope yall all find yourself overcome with thankfulness this season.

Peace, love, and pecans.
xo
lmkw

3 comments:

GreenErica said...

Going to look up "chauny" on dictionary.com....

I love you.
e

MsAmerica said...

I love you Lindsey!!! Hope your Thanksgiving was great! Get some rest, and have a great week!!!

-xoxo

Carley said...

I need to look up "chauny" too! Loved this post - it reminds me of everything I'm thankful for as well. What a blessed year we've had. Love you girl!