Thursday, April 22, 2010

theDuckling turns one!

4.23.09



today...





A year ago my second son was born. I loved the pregnancy. I loved the anticipation. I loved knowing that for the most part, I was as ready as I could ever be for this child. We were in a different place this time around... both physically and figuratively. His brother made me a mother. So this time around, I was just waiting to meet my son and introduce him to the people that would be his forever.

A lug of a bebe born fragile at first. I read those old post and remember back thinking it was all roses. But when I watch his birth video, I can't hold back the tears. He struggled for each breath those first few hours... his chest pulling and jerking for air. I hated myself for consenting the the induction. Did I do this to my son? We were afraid of his size causing me to possibly need a Cesarean. Did he break his collarbone? Did I fail this bebe? We expected the worst but were blessed with a healthy (perfectly intact) bebe.boy. All I wanted to do was to hold him, monitor free, and nurse him to sleep... I didn't get that wish until nearly 10 hours after he was born. But nurse we did... during those first handful of months. And I loved every quiet moment with my littleDuckling tucked into me.

Jackson has brought more joy into our lives than we were prepared for. He was an easy infant and is growing into such a happy and content toddler. From an early age, he was more alert than James was at that age... and you didn't have to work hard for a full belly laugh or flashy smile. He's pureJOY..

Now as he rounds his first year, he has a list of words: momma, daddy, bubba, thank you, uh oh, one-two-threeee, and bottle. He signs for more, milk, please, and all done. He can stand by himself- but isn't yet brave enough to make those first steps unassisted. He loves to dance and read. Pat.a.Cake and play ball. He waves hello and goodbye and can blow kisses. But if you are luckiest of all, he will give you the slowest, sweetest, wettest kiss right on your face (or leg or head or whatever is closest when the mood strikes). His 'muah' kissy sound is quite dramatic. He absolutely adores his big brother and his daddy. He's eating table foods and loves his sippy cup. Although he is so similar to his big brother- he is very much his own person and he reminds us of that everyday.

I can't believe he is already a year old. I can honestly say that I was prepared to be overwhelmed taking care of two- but it's been nothing but steady joy. I've had moments of frustration- but NOTHING like I anticipated. I'm a happy mother of two and can't imagine my life without my precious boys.

Today we will celebrate at a restaurant then organic, gourmet cupcakes and dancing! His big birthday bash will follow...


There was a time where we crumbled at the thought that perhaps children of our own weren't in our future. We suffered loss and endured great pain... but as promised, our Hope was new again and our lives were transformed forever with the arrival of our bebies.

I'm so grateful that this child is a part of my story. He could be anyone's child. But he isn't. He is ours. Hand.picked just for us... wonderfully and fearfully made reminding me each day that God loves us most of all. My boys (all three) are a constant source of inspiration for me... and I'm so grateful to be present enough to notice the details of it all. I've been blessed beyond measure.

***As of this morning, the birthday boy is in fine.form!

We started our celebration off with buckwheat.birthday.waffles with just a scant drizzle of agave nectar and a touch of whipped cream. From there, he threw each sticky piece on the floor proclaiming, "UH OH!" with each splat. He yelled for his usual yogurt! :)

He fussed if I was in the room. Fussed if I was out of the room. And fussed if his brother provided him too much attention or too little. When I say 'fuss'- to Jackson, that means he stands on his tip toes, arches his back and sticks out his Buddha belly, crinkle his face and make the loudest growly yell, bearing his two little white teeth until his face turns the deepest shade of crimson. Quite the spectacle. Intermingled in the fussing, he yelled at the top of his lungs for his Daddy over and over (and over) again crawling from room to room looking for him... slapping the ground as he went. Birthday conspiracy!!

See?



Yes, that's how we started our morning. Needless to say, we popped a few teething tablets and got back into bed with Bamboo and Basil and Mr.X and snuggled under his favorite blanket... Here's hoping he takes a nice birthday nap.

I'll keep yall updated as our week of festivities play out.

peace, love and theDuck.
xo
lmkw

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday to your beautiful, beautiful, beautiful boy! (You're doing a GREAT job with the both of them.)

GreenErica said...

Happy Birthday My Sweet! Please stay this age for a while.... ♥