Sunday, April 11, 2010

What happens if you DON"T brush your teeth...

For the most part, it's fair to say that I'm a very deliberate parent. I read books about it. I search the Internet about it. I talk to people I admire and get their take on things. I'm not scared by new ages or stages that my kids go through and I feel that if something comes up that I'm not sure how to handle, with a little time and effort, I can figure it out...

But

Tonight? Well I just sort of went with it. Freelanced. Off.the.cuff sort of parenting that rarely happens around here.

Hey. I had an urge and an opportunity, so I took it.

It seemed like a good idea at the time....

Here's how it went down: James is quite the Big Boy lately. He thinks about things... deeeeep things. He asks questions about big issues. There is no doubt that he's making connections and trying his best to figure out this Great.Big.World and who he is in the whole grand scheme of things.

I love it. I mean, I LOVE it. It's fun to have a matter.a.fact conversation about our bodies and privacy. It's fun to hear his take on the weather... stars... planets. It's cute to hear his view on why daddies are Daddies and why mommas are Mommas. The best part is when you hit the jackpot and he starts talking about God or Jesus or Heaven, etc. I get to listen and hear how his little brain works. And I'm always impressed and entertained and recommitted to loving this little human being.

But in his talking, you get a lot of 'Why' questions... or even the occasional, bold 'No, Momma... I fink I'm not gonna do dat.' reply. Yes, the big.bad.Back.Talk. *sigh* I believe in explaining some of my decisions- but many many of my decisions aren't up for discussion. When I say to do this or that- I want a happy and compliant 'yes, momma' response. *With exceptions of course.

SO here it is: We were getting ready for bed and I told him to get started brushing his teeth. He's 4 years old and has had teeth for 4 years minus 3 months- so it's safe to assume we have had this EXACT same routine for nearly 98% of his life. Tonight I got something to the effect of 'No, Momma. Not tonight. I don't need to tonight because I brushed my teeth yesterday.' *I was on the computer and he was in his bathroom about... oh, I'd say about 11 feet away from my chair. It was a dumb argument. We all know that what you did yesterday with your dental hygiene doesn't apply 24 hours, a Popsicle, ear of chocolate easter bunny, and birthday cake later... Dumb dumb kid. If you are gonna take me on, at least give me something legit to argue. So, what did I do, you wonder?

Hey, come see something really quick.
*glad to leave the bathroom stool, he quickly trots over...
Okay, you see this? (I google searched rotten teeth images, and grabbed the very first pic)

See that guys teeth? He didn't brush his teeth everyday. Nope. He didn't think he needed to... and that's what happens when you don't brush your teeth.*In the length of time it took me to say those three.ish sentences, I clicked over to an image of beautiful white teeth... and up close image of a woman's beautiful smile...
See this lady's teeth? Aren't they beautiful? She brushes her teeth every day... every morning and every single night. And because she takes such good care of them, she has a beautiful, healthy smile. What do you think?

***Instantly he split and ran back to the bathroom and grabbed his toothbrush.
He actually brushed them twice... took him nearly 10 minutes... Fronts. Backs. Sides.

Victory? Nailed it? Interesting, yet effective take?

Wells, maybe not.

It totally and utterly freaked him out. He's a thinker. A wonderer. A dweller. And that 25 sec. view of rotten teeth made him ask about 72.ish questions about dental hygiene... wide eyed... catching his breath... panicked. He was in his bed, with his blue lovey blanket clutched up high under this chin. Then he uttered up the most fervent prayer to Jesus about keeping sugar off his teeth so that his teeth wouldn't fall out and turn brown. It was a sad beggy.type prayer. Then he layed his head down on his star covered pillow and with the widest blue eyes looking towards the wall, with a shutter of his tiny body said, "Momma. I'm totally freaked out."

Maybe that was a bit too harsh for a 4 year old... a tender 4 year old. Maybe he's scared for life. He begged me to brush his teeth again for him right when he wakes up in the morning. Maybe I've created the first obsessive compulsion for him... Dumb dumb mother. Rookie mistake. Bush league.

*sigh*

I guess thats what can happen when you just make it up as you go along...

*for the record, theHotness scolded me and gave me a 'way to go, lindsey'... then he told James that 'your momma is kooookie and that picture was just make.believe and your teeth will never look like that' speech. Liar.

So my question for you is this: Is it better to be honest and instill a little healthy fear into a kid for his own good--- OR is it better to be a liar?


**disclaimer**

I'll hate your guts if you take his side... and I'm betting right now that Moon and Carley and others WILL take his side bc they love him and think he's almost.perfect. But I'll still hate their guts for a day... or two. ;) At least I'm being HONEST.

Peace, love, and fluoride.
xo
lmkw

11 comments:

GreenErica said...

HAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Nope, I'm with YOU, Buttercup! He'll forget about that photo, like we forget the awful dream we had last night that bugged us all day. Oh my gosh that was funny! Off to email it to Granna....

kylajewell said...

Shoot, I'm with you Lindsey. Actually, I might just leave this post up so I can show it to Kallen in the morning. Last year when I was teaching, the day care he went to (which I loved) taught the kids about germs. I don't know what they said, but he became an instant germaphobic and has been ever since. He's settled down a bit with all of the germy questions, but I still NEVER have to tell him to wash his hands or cough in his elbow, etc. He pretty much knows it all. SO, if your gross picture will have that impact on him in regard to brushing his teeth, I'm all for it. Ahhh, to never have to beg/pleed/bribe him to brush his teeth again.....just the thought of it gets me excited about showing him the photo!

CountryCouture said...

One night, my kids complained about their dinner, and I pulled up pics of starving kids in Somalia with their ribs sticking out and everything. They ate everything on their plates! I LOVE the internet.

Jill said...

Ohmygoodness, I can hardly breathe! This has got to be the funniest post to date girlie. So glad you shared this, it was a wonderful way to start my day.

Now, I better go brush my teeth...

:) xoxox J

Carley said...

Actually - like Erika - I might just be with you on this one. A little healthy fear never hurt anyone. I'm totally archiving this pic in case I have trouble with Addison brushing hers. Don't tell Marcus!!

Anonymous said...

I was actually searching for some good pictures to show my son and came across your blog. You're idea is right and has worked for me with the seat belt battle and even sun screen that smells and feels yucky...oh yes pictures of skin cancer. I am glad there are other Mom's out there like me!

Jesse said...

In my opinion, what you've did to your child was alright, that little lesson you've taught James was pretty scary now, but in the future, you'll see the benefits of that, making him self-aware of his own dental hygiene. I've once did that same kind of therapy to my younger cousin when he first resisted on getting his teeth brushed. The effect is also the same as your kid, on the first month, he bugged me on letting him tag along with me for my check-up at the Myrtle Beach dentists, and I let it be, for him to get used to the dentist.

Many years has passed, the bugging has subsided, but he's still cautions on his teeth, and he still tags along with me when visiting the dentists. Myrtle Beach (The beach itself) is the place I take my cousin after the appointment, to reward him on his bravery.

Dawn said...

wow I don't know you, I just googled rotten teeth for THIS EXACT SAME REASON!! to show my 3 1/2 yr old cos he refuses to brush his teeth, and YEP I sure am gonna show him these pictures!! I'll see if it works, he's not a thinker like yours, but we'll see.
thanks!!!

Anonymous said...

Add another tick to your story. We have to get on our 9 yr old daughter everyday and night to brush. I pulled up pics of bad teeth and BAM! she's off brushing as I type. I used the same three-ish sentences and the picture of the beautiful smile. Hope it sticks.

~Monica~ said...

My step son is 7 (almost 8) and I googled "what happens when you don't brush your teeth" and got your post. He says that he doesn't remember to brush his teeth every day at his mom's house so I figured I'd try to fix that problem...

I showed him the bad teeth pic and asked if I needed to print it out and tape it to the bathroom mirror for him to see EVERY day. He said he didn't want to look at it every day. So I said, "Well then you need to brush your teeth EVERY day because this is what happens to your teeth if you don't and then you'll have no other option but to look at those EVERY day when you look in the mirror and open your mouth." We'll see how it works :)

LA said...

Found your post for the same purpose of showing my 6yo the consequences of not brushing with toothpaste!! I also wondered if it was the right thing, but glad I've got some internet company on my side <3