Wednesday, March 12, 2008

My *Rockstar* Sister... and other updates.

Thanks for all the kind emails, calls, and comments of encouragement and support since my last exciting post. Yeah, my sister is a *Rockstar.* Well... maybe that seems like an odd choice of adjective- something more delicate... a word that is sweetly scented and dainty- a word that tenderly describes a person when she becomes a new mother again may seem more applicable. Nah! Tonight, let's stick with *Rockstar!* It fits my mood and it certainly fits the feats that my sister can accomplish without breaking a sweat.

No, I'm not exaggerating. Google search YOUR sister's name and tell me what comes up? When you look up mine, you can read the published articles that she's written and contributed to various magazines across the country. In fact, she's an award winning author. That's right, *Rockstar.* I dare you to dare me! Search Danyelle Knight- told you so.

Kathryn Rose was born at 6:06am this morning. She and Danyelle are both doing really well. Kate weighs 6lbs. and 10oz and has a head full of red hair. (!!!) Danyelle says that she is tiny and sweet and a good eater. I have one pic of the two of them- taken with a random cell phone. I'm holding out for 24hrs. for a good one... if I have to wait too long, I'll just post the one I have. My new bebe niece is gorgeous!

***
So today was a good day for me. I've been with my seventh graders since Monday- and I can honestly say, I really like them. The teacher was out today, so we had a substitute (bless his heart). I was required to take the reigns and 'do my thing.' Consequently I won their respect. WHICH means everything when teaching middle school. I'm proud of them... and proud of myself. I am really called to work with disadvantaged kids. It is a lot of work- but besides being a mother, I've never felt more real and alive than working side by side with kids who are SAFEST within the four walls of my room. And get this- my room is really incredible. It's an OLD school... not the 'best' part of town. BUT I walked into my room and was dazzled. It's pretty big and the back wall is lined with wall to wall windows THAT OPEN!!! They look out to huge azalea bushes that are beneath these pretty, old oak trees. I can't imagine a prettier spot to watch Spring unfold, than there with 75 nutty seventh graders! So, you can say that I'm almost happy here at my new school--- but I do miss my second graders in a BIG BAD way. I wish I could collect my kids like souvenirs, never having to say good-bye...

Oh, and James stayed with his *second momma* Erica today. I'm always happy to send James to his Ekah's. She always teaches hum the neatest things. Today they had an introductory lesson to William Blake- the English writer of 18th Century Western Europe. To illustrate the Romantic Era, Erica chose to lead the boys (James and Tate) through an experience described in Blake's poem "Chimney Sweep." As you know, the Song of Innocence describes a little boy who celebrates childhood, joy and spontaneity... where the Song of Experience describes the same child who is exploited through the harmful effects of working as a chimney sweep emphasising the miserable urban life during the industrial revolution. So as to facilitate discovery learning, Erica allowed the boys time to reflect on the two stories--- they were to talk about the similarities and differences in tone of the stories. When she returned, she found the boys literally embracing the lesson with exploring the fireplace in the house. They had crawled inside the fireplace, thrown out the old burnt logs, 'explored' the ashes there... They are tactile learners- so this exploration allowed them to make further connections with the stories. From Erica's description, this lesson proved to be a messy one. The boys spent some time in the uncooperative spot, while Erica cleaned things up. I have a feeling Erica may decide to sit the boys down in their desks... lined in a perfect row... with nothing but low level-knowledge based worksheets in front of them. If they move or talk, she may make them do something worthless like have them write LINES. Hey, our kids are brilliant- but dumbing them down certainly is easier on the carpets. ;)

***I promise to post pics of the "Chimney Sweep" exploration as soon as she post them. AND while I'm at it. Thanks for helping me out today, Erica. Besides being my soul mate, you are one of the most generous and capable people I know.

And because you made it THIS far... and because I can't close a post without a pic, here is one of my favorite things that is new around my casa:

This is just a sneak peak of my Spring things... I'm feeling green and yellow this season! And if you think this is fab- you should see James' and Marcus' new threads! Wowza...

*I feel Spring photo shoot coming on*

Peace. xo

2 comments:

Michelle Sanders said...

Rockstar indeed! I can't keep up with one much less welcome another into my world!

As for your spring attire, it sounds scruptious! I'm wearing green & yellow today as a matter of fact. I totally approve of that color combo. And that coat is to-die-for!

And ummm, I caught that "soul mates" reference. >clearing throat< It's not like I didn't know you were cheating on me. This long distance relationship has been hard. Luckly I like Erica so it's not so bad. If I had to pick someone for you to cheat on me with it would be her. LOL! Tell her I said hiya!

And yes, I am super proud of you and your "taking the reigns". I wish I could see you in action!

Anonymous said...

Thanks Sugarbutt. The tables will be turned in a few short months. sniff...sniff...

Lindsey, you make me sound like an English professor. Why not tell everyone about the real things I teach James, like, "huuuunGRY!"

haha, love,
e