Monday, January 18, 2010

Up to the Mountaintop

What a beautiful day to celebrate the life and legacy of the great Dr. Martin Luther King Jr! The sun was shining and a friend invited us to a park playdate. While there, watching the kids play and run, we talked about our upcoming dream of adopting a little girl.bebe... one we believe is in Ethiopia. It was a beautiful day to talk about about how close we are to fulfilling this dream for me and my sweet little family of boys.

Then I started thinking about the significance of the day. Perhaps this dream of ours wouldn't be as possible for me- or as dear to my heart if it hadn't been for this man and his progressive vision of LOVE.

This song written and sung by Patty Griffin, is her tribute to Dr. Martin Luther King... inspired by his Mountaintop Speech. What her perform it live... beautiful indeed!


Here is Dr. King's actual speech below.

I'm so thankful to live in a world shaped by visionaries of his caliber. But most of all, I'm thankful that Dr. King prepared a world in which my sons will understand that "the ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." and that "Hatred paralyzes life; love releases it. Hatred confuses life; love harmonizes it. Hatred darkens life; love illuminates it." -Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

And, of course, I can't help but daydream about how Dr. King and his message of Love and Hope will impact this sweet daughter of ours... who will be home one day.

Happy Monday, friends.

Peace, love, and vision.
xo
lmkw

No comments: