Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Serial Student?

Wells... this is the beginning of the end for me as a college student. Yup. Today was my first day in my summer course. It's a good end to this little tryst I've had with school- or should I say seven year itch? One of my favorite professors is teaching me my final course. I believe the count after today is 18 classroom days until I have the credits to graduate in August. ;) So here I am, on the cusp of accomplishing something I've worked really hard for. I want to talk about the kind of drive, determination, heart-break, and sheer grit it took to get me here- but it's still hits 'too close for comfort' for me now. Maybe when I finally reach the end and feel that restorative relief I've been praying for, I'll be able to express that stuff. For now, let's just look forward the next 18 days.

Marcus documented this occasion. Where is Lindsey on the first day of graduation countdown 08? In her bed of course, doing homework. (and loving it)

Being the nut.job that I am, I was actually excited about starting my new course today. I love school. Everything about it. The people, the supplies, the books, the desks, the new faces... I love the assignments, the test, the grades, the challenge. I love being a student. I love being a teacher, too- but I've learned that a teacher is a student. Always. Period. No way around it. So, here I am excited about reaching the end of this long and tedious goal of mine- understanding that it's not really an end at all. I have plans for more. A masters... ultimately my doctorate. Why? Not because of the career choices it would ultimately bring for me, but because I love learning. I love who I am when I learn. I love the way it feels to dig and construct and make sense of things. I love reaching within myself to pull up something old that I know, and the magic that happens when I link it to something new that I hope to learn. The process, it thrills me.

Here I am with the last two textbooks that I will need... Kinda special.


*Oh, did I mention back to school wardrobe in the things I love about school? ;) Wells, I'll have to talk about that tomorrow. Marcus says summer semesters count, too. So, what did I do to commemorate my big day? Ann Taylor, of course!

Peace, xo.

3 comments:

Michelle Sanders said...

You look so cute all proped up in you bed....just how I would imagine you surfin the web and doing homework. You are a great student but and awesome momma. So just relax. When this class is over you can focus on your move, your new house, being a wife and a wonderful mamma! Soak it all in hun! You've earned it.

Janee said...

What will you be certified to teach when you're done? You need to come teach with me!!!

Janee said...

What subject? English? History? You strike me as an English person! : )

When you get to BR, we will have to arrange lunch/playdate so I can introduce you to my friend/your neighbor Christie and her little boy Ryan!