Monday, June 9, 2008

Yes, I can do this in heels.


So today was nice... for the rest of this week only, Marcus has been taking James Neal to his parent's house for the day. He picks him up on his way home from work. All of this to let me attend my summer course in Huntsville. The class which doesn't start until 1pm... that means, this past week and this week is enough time for me to establish some bad habits. Like, I don't know... sleeping in, bathing by myself without James hijacking my tub time, getting dressed at a leisurely pace. Gosh, James is always with me. I've forgotten how nice it is to just be one person--- taking care of ONE person. BUT, sure enough, when I crank the car and don't have my darling to sing with or talk to... I feel totally out of place. He's just a fun kid... and we enjoy being together.

As I was spending 57 bucks on gas *for the second time in three days,* I saw a peach farmer set up down the farm road. I love peaches... love them. I think if I were a fruit, I'd be a peach or lemon... *I digress.* My heart grins when I see an old farmer sitting in his folding chair with his table strewn with baskets of yummies. The scene is as pretty as the produce itself. Another day passes when I miss my grandfather with *all* my heart. I went over, snapped this pic, and walked away with 1/4 peck of juicy peaches. Corn flakes with sugar spooned over the top, peaches, juicy fruit gum... I've gotten to the age now that memories like these make me ache to be little again.


I'm loving my summer class. My professor is... in a word, inspiring. I feel such a kinship to this lady. If my long journey of education has taught me anything- it has been the benefit of simply exposing myself to really tremendous, powerful, and insightful women. They are so smart and wise- and I've been able to spend my days for last 7 years in their company, both professionally and personally. I'm afraid I could become bored when I leave the university to resume my full time life as a SAHM mother. My brain needs these women/men to make me THINK! Anywho, my professor slipped this novel my way. The Quilt by Gary Paulson. I love reading rich adolescent literature now that I am an adult--- when I was young my teachers frowned on anything that wasn't a 'classic.' So, I have an appetite to catch up! I've always loved the hard stuff. Now I see the great value in the contemporary writers of our day... Anywho, I'm falling in love with Paulson's prose and imagery. Plus, I'm feeling nostalgic about my grandparents. Summer has a way of doing that. So, this is my read for now.


As I was driving home from Huntsvegas, I made a split decision to spend the next hour or so of 'free' time picking blueberries at the farm I mentioned before. Now, let me set the stage here: I was dressed for school- which most of you know my style... skirt, heels, belt, necklace, tank, and jacket. When I walked up and grabbed my bucket at the farm, I was teased... "No, I'm not trying to impress the blueberry bushes!" I just wanted some relaxing 'me' time... and since I enjoy the summer heat and being outside every chance I get- it made sense to pick for a while, heels or not. Besides, when do I NOT where heels!? Plus, James and Marcus would be so pleased with their sweet surprise. So... I picked, prayed, reflected, and dreamed. I'm a regular at the farm now. I like that. My session was cut short because I wanted to be back to watch my favorite baseball team make it to Omaha. Here's a shot of my beauties... I picked many more.


We had to be out for a last minute late-night showing from 6:30-7:30pm... so I was able to Tivo the game and watch it later. Good thing I did, because our boys cleaned up!!! It was so much fun to rewind and watch the first inning over and over again. Triple home runs to open the game... nice. I do think we re-watched the first two innings three times! 'LSU's rapid ascent back to the top of college baseball continued with an NCAA Super Regional thumping of UC Irvine, 21-7, to advance to the NCAA College World Series for the 14th time.' GEAUX TIGERS!!!


With all of my fresh berries and fruit, I feel some intense baking coming on... so stay tuned. Oh, and exciting news with the relocation too...

Happy Tuesday, friends.
Peace, xo.

1 comment:

Michelle Sanders said...

EXCITING NEWS ABOUT THE RELOCATION?! WHAT?! I know it's a shame that's all I got out of this heartfelt post about summer and fresh fruit and grandparents. Whatever...dish! I what to know the news!