Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Gustav +1

**update**
Some friends have told me that the media is portrying this storm and the distruction from this storm as "dodging a bullet" and that Louisiana and it's parishes are doing fine... Let me make myself clear- this misperception is from our states ability to prepare and plan for this storm effectively through the guidance and leadership of our kickass governor, Bobby Jindal. His abilty to ready our state for this disaster has saved us from effects even worse than katrina. Let me clarify- Kateina was devastating because of the levee breaches post storm... And the states ineffectiveness to properly prepare... However Gustav as a storm, was much stronger and caused more widespread damage through more of our state... From our barrier islands on he coast to areas as far up as northern LA. The distruction in Greater baton rouge exceeds damages done from Betsy in '65. Tiger stadium sustained extensive damage as did our LSU campus... It may be upwards of five weeks before baton rouge has power... We have a dusk til dawn curfew in affect.... We certainly don't have food and water enough for that long... If you want to see he images the media is NOT reporting, go to wafb.com or 2theadvocate.com--- or google search our news stations here. Just setting the record straight.***

hi friends!

On Lola again... So here's the latest. Still no power for us here in Zachary. 50% of people will get power within 1-8days...the other fifty will not get power for four plus weeks. Those areas substations were distroyed so the will have to be rebuilt. We have no idea which category we will fall in to.

We had a scare today when the lake behind us rose up too quickly to drain off... We've gotten upwards of ten inches here in zachary!!! But the rain stopped enough to drain off much of the scary waters. Oh, on a lighter note- the hummingbirds were starving... Seriously, if you know anything about the darlings, they require a certain amount of nectar each day or they will not make it through the night. Even when gustav was bearing down on us, they were begging at our back door. Today I was worried to death about them- so I rooted around the garage in the dark to find my feeders. I think I fed a total of 12 different birds.... Some were more skittish than others... I had my camera out trying to get there pics so I could see howany different bird I have. I named one Lucia... She was the least scared and didn't mind me being close to her. So I will rest easier tonight knowing that they drank nearly half a cup (!!!) of fresh nectar.

We got out this evening to grab some car ac and get some pics of the area--- asim sure y'all can see on tv, it's a mess here in zachary, central, and baton rouge. Much much worse than katrina... But spirits seem high and everyone is working together to get things done. We ended up driving out to Momma's and Daddy's. Their subdivision was the worst damage we had seen in our 30 minute drive. It's hard to see their place so devistated. But with a few strong backs and a few long days, and it will me back looking like Moody Gardens again. ;)

Marcus is off work again tomorrow- so we will be over their to help out.

Our phone is out... Carmen, have you heard from your parents? Let me know, I'm worried and want to check on your mom... Maybe she could use my help? I may go to one of the shelters tomorrow with James while Marcus helps at Daddy's... The Arch Diocese is housing nursing home patients and they are having a hard time in the heat... With their spirits low, they are scared for their health. And since I am pregnant (!!!) yes- I just let the cat out of the bag- I may be better use for them then raking at Momma's. Plus I believe James could lift some spirits with his silly antics. ;)

Thanks for the comments- they made my day. Keep em coming! I feel so cut off from the rest of the world. Oh, and Houston, get ready! If we don't have power by the weekend, I'm going to seek refuge!!!!!!!! ;)

Love and Peace to y'all all,
Xo
Lmkw

6 comments:

Becca G! said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Becca G! said...

hey Lindsey!
Glad to hear you and your family are ok after hat crazy Gustav..and Excited to hear about your pregnancy! Congrats! :]

Anonymous said...

Oh I know your parents are upset about their beautiful house and yard. hug them for me.
When you are at the nursing home pretend all the old ladies are me and give them extra TLC. Not that YOU need to be encouraged to give of yourself!!
Congrats on the new Whitty. I am so excited. BTW we need a girl, but these boys sure make a great case for more of them.
Love Love Love Love (for all 4 of you) Granna

Anonymous said...

Oh wow! Congratulations on the pregnancy!! I just know its going to be a pink... or a blue... either way I just want it HEALTHY! :)

I'm so sad about Baton Rouge. Honestly, I consider that area more my hometown than Luling. I saw photos of areas that I love and it just breaks my heart. I haven't seen any photos of LSU's campus and I'm tearing up just thinking about the damage the beautiful trees on my campus may have sustained.

I hope you guys are able to get by with the heat and that you have enough to eat. Please head this way if you get too hot and hungry!

I haven't been able to actually talk to my parents since yesterday evening. :( My brother and his GF are there with them so he and I texted some this morning. They are in need of a generator, but I was able to get them one of the only four left in the Kingwood area today. We're somehow going to get it to them tomorrow. Wish me luck!

Anonymous said...

ok... just found some photos of fallen trees in the quad. BREAKS MY HEART!

LSU produced 4 of the happiest years of my life. I hate to see it so torn up!

Janee said...

wow, congrats girl. Y'all stay safe and hopefully we will all have power back soon